WHO WE ARE
The League of Women Voters of the City of New York is a non-partisan organization whose purpose is to promote informed and active citizen participation in government. Our mission is to expand our outreach and increase all New Yorkers’ participation in local communities and government through civics education, the “vote”, and issue advocacy.
what we do
- Achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels.
- Build citizen participation in the democratic process
- Engage communities in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy
- Study key community issues at all governmental levels in an unbiased manner
- Enable people to seek positive solutions to public policy issues through education and conflict management
what we believe in
- Respect for all individuals
- The value of true diversity
- The empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities
what we provide
- Telephone Information Services: answering questions about voting in NYC, as well as city, state and national government. Phones are open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday and extended hours when polls are open.
- Timely information for New York City voters.
- Educational publications, including: What Makes New York City Run?, a citizen’s guide to New York City government, and They Represent You, an annually updated directory of city, state and federal legislators who represent New York residents.
- Candidate debates that inform and stimulate: The League and WABC-TV, for example, were selected by the Campaign Finance Board to conduct the official televised candidate debates for the Mayoral, Comptroller and Public Advocate races during the municipal elections in 2001, 2005, 2009, and 2021.
- Speakers on the political process and public issues and moderators for candidate forums.
- Helpful tools to contact your elected officials, such as the website Who Represents Me, maintained in partnership with the CUNY Graduate Center.
meet the people that make it happen
The League of Women Voters of the City of New York is pursuing new, transformative leaders for the LWVNYC Board of Directors. If you are interested in learning more, email [email protected] to get in touch with the Nominating Committee.
|Vice President of Communications
|Vice President of Development
|Vice President of Membership
|Vice President of Technology
Board of Directors
Regional Director Government Affairs
and Public Policy
|President & General Manager
Queens College, CUNY
Ernst & Young
|Michael Max Knobbe
|UTA News + Broadcast
Professor Political Science Host of
CUNY’s City Talk
|President & GM
WABC Networks and Disney Media
|President & CEO
Partnership for New York City
The Haley Group
online league resources
LOVE THE LEAGUE?
So do our friends at Uncommon Goods. They donate $5 from every regularly priced “Vote” item to support our work helping all New Yorkers Vote Louder.